Saturday, September 8, 2012

All Systems Are A Go!

I had what I am calling my "final" monitoring appointment today with Dr. Lee. I say final because I have officially been given the green light for our frozen embryo transfer on next Thursday, September 13th! At today's ultrasound my uterine lining was a perfect 9 triple layer (whatever that means), so I guess that means this oven is ready to bake a little bun!!

Once I got dressed we moved into the "comfy room", as I like to call it, to discuss how many embryos we wanted to transfer- basically his office/consultation room instead of one of the exam rooms. We explained that while we would obviously prefer to only have one baby at a time, we are OK with the idea of having twins but we really don't want to have triplets or more so we are nervous about putting in two embies. But at the same time, I know the odds of getting a positive is higher with two so that in itself is a compelling argument for putting in two embies. After much discussion about odds we decided to leave it up to fate. As it turns out, half of the 10 embryos we have were frozen in pairs, while the other half were frozen individually. We are going to thaw one of the pairs and if both survive the thaw then we will put both embies in and let God decide. If, however, only one embie survives the thaw then that will be all we put in and pray that it takes. Mike and I both left the office feeling really comfortable with our decision so i guess only time will tell what is going to happen.

Today's appointment was also another jam packed visit as far as information goes. I got my official schedule and it was filled with tons of different colored highlighters which of course gave me an anxiety attack just looking at it. I'm just happy that it is broken down by day so it's pretty much dummy proof.



Here is a breakdown of what I will be doing over the next week to prepare for the transfer:

*Continue taking 1mg Dexamethasone, 1 baby Aspirin, 1 Prenatal Vitamin Daily. Also continue injecting .4cc Delestrogen every 3rd night.

Tonight: Inject .5ml HCG

Saturday: Begin injecting 1ml Progesterone (Ethyl Oleate) nightly

Sunday: Begin using Crinone Gel (gross gel that I have to insert vaginally!!!) every morning

Tuesday: Inject .1ml HCG

Wednesday: Begin taking Doxycycline 100mg twice daily and Medrol 16mg once a day for 4 days

Thursday(Transfer Day): Take Valium 10mg 1 hour prior to transfer. **Bonus I actually get to eat and drink whatever I want prior to the transfer, unlike prior to the egg retrieval! I will be on strict bed rest the rest of Thursday and all of Friday, only allowed to get up to go to the bathroom.

Friday: Inject .1ml HCG

Monday: Inject final 1ml HCG

After all that I will continue to take the Delestrogen shot every 3rd night, as well as the nightly Progesterone shot and daily Crinone Gel. I will also continue taking the baby aspirin and prenatal vitamins through the first few months of pregnancy, I believe. 

I am scheduled to go back to see Dr. Lee on Tuesday, September 25th to have my beta test which will tell them if I am pregnant. I have decided that I don't think I want to take a home pregnancy test prior to this appointment. For a while I was thinking that I might want to POAS (pee on a stick) a day or two before so that I could prepare myself if the results are negative but I just don't know that would make me feel any better. Knowing myself, I would end up thinking that maybe the test was wrong and give myself false hope to only be crushed again when the beta came back negative. No, I think I am going to wait and let the doctor tell me yes or no.

I'm feeling really good right now, very excited. I know that this isn't a for sure thing and there is a real chance that we won't get pregnant from this cycle (though I am trying to be positive). But I think I'm just happy to be seeing the fruits of all our labor, so to speak. It's like we've gone through so much with all the injections and stimming, all the appointments and the egg retrieval, all the pain I went through with OHSS after the egg retrieval etc... Then we had to be delayed and wait a month. I understand it was for the best but it's so exciting to be finally reaching the end of this cycle one way or another. I read and post a lot on the infertility board on TheBump.com and it has literally kept me sane over the last few months. I have honestly learned so much from all the amazing women there and have genuinely begun to care about their stories and whats happening with them. But its been so hard to see women who I remember starting their cycle after me already pregnant and moving on while I've been stuck in this holding pattern. Don't get me wrong, I am totally happy for them and don't begrudge their experiences at all especially since I know a lot of them have been at this much longer then me. I guess I'm just trying to say that I am sooooo ready for this Thursday! 

Well, I guess that's all for now. If there is anyone out there who actually made it through this ridiculously long post, please please please keep your fingers crossed for me that this works!! Thanks :)

1 comment: